Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 5 - Pumpkin Wreath


Halloween and Christmas are my most favorite times of the year.  Both holidays let grown adults feel like kids again, and I truly enjoy the feeling of magic or mystical happenings.  With a toddler around, I’ve been finding my time has been going by much more quickly than it used to, so I have decided to try to get a bit of a jump start on Halloween festivities.  I found the following pin while doing a search for DIY Halloween decorations.  This pumpkin looks so adorable and it should really stand out on our “every other townhouse looks like this townhouse” exterior.

            


This inspiration was actually pretty challenging.  I had trouble finding orange mesh in the size recommended in the pin, so I purchased a wider spool and cut it down, which took up some time, and also made doing this project in the presence of our son pretty difficult.

Once I got going here's the progress...


Here's my hook and latch canvas.  I attached it to the inner part of an embroidery hoop using floral wire.


Then I cut the canvas down to size.


Here's the  10" piece of mesh (4" wide) and pipe cleaner.  I later realized I needed to cut the piper cleaners in half.   

Roll up the mesh, bend the pipe cleaner around it as tight as possible.


Start looping the mesh into the hook and latch canvas.  You can make it as concentrated or loose as you want depending on how you want your pumpkin to look.


For day 5, this as far as I got.  Our son took his first steps today, which distracted me a bit from getting it totally completed.  I think I might have about another 45-60 minutes left on this, after spending roughly 2 hours on it already. It's a bit tedious, but I think it looks super cute.  I'll post more pictures later of how it looks on our front door.















No comments:

Post a Comment