Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 18 - Cleaning Microfiber

This is probably by far my most favorite Pinspiration because it saved my furniture.  Not just saved it, it made it look brand new.  When I found this pin, I was really excited and hopeful that it would work because we'd been using slipcovers to cover up how dingy the furniture got.  I admit I did this pin a while back because I was desperate to get our furniture looking like new.  However, I had to call upon it again after I was eating a cupcake on the couch and dropped a lump of frosting on the arm of the couch.  Oopsies!



Here was the offending stain beforehand.


I put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and applied it.  Then I rubbed it in with a beige-colored sponge.


Greasy frosting stain gone!  

When I originally did this pin, I did the entire seat and back cushions, as well as the arm rests.  It took me a couple of very large bottles of rubbing alcohol and a couple days to do it all because you have to let one side dry before you do the next.  You need to really saturate the fabric and you also have to make sure that you use a sponge that is either white or the same color as your furniture.  The alcohol could transfer color if you use something that isn't colorless or similar colored.  Our couches were absolutely disgusting when I first attempted this.  There were blue water marks from spilled vase water (dyed flowers were in it), formula, spit-up, drool, sweat....they were gross. Once I saw it worked on the couches, I also attacked the gliding rocking chair that I thought I ruined when my son was about 3 weeks old and spit up all over it.  The rubbing alcohol really worked on every stain I applied it too, so much that even my husband was impressed.  Ever since, he's been hesitant to make fun of me and my obsession with Pinterest.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment